1. Identification: Passport (internationally) or drivers license (domestically) depending on your destination. Sounds simple but you would be amazed..
2. Moola: Call your bank and/or get local currency. It is important to call your bank before going abroad, some banks make it easy so that you can alert them via the app. I would also recommend getting smaller bills as well as separating your money in case you plan to barter or have an altercation with cops or thieves.
- While in Tulum, Mexico we got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt and ended up forking up way too much cash since all we had were big bills…lesson learned.
3. External charger/Universal Adaptor: I use RavPower deluxe series model:RP-PB19 (charges two devices and lasts forever)
- Amazon.com has a pretty good deal currently: $24.99 instead of $64.99
- In case you forget an adaptor, hotels usually have extra,but I usually do airbnb which do not.
5. What’s the wifi password?: An International cellular data plan is a life changer. I use T-Mobile which allows me to text for free as well as have unlimited data worldwide. So far service has been great everywhere. Some remote places it slows down but I highly recommend T-Mobile.
6. Neck Pillow: Life changer if you plan on being in a plane, car, train, bus, etc. for a long period of time.
7. Book:. I always have a book with me whether I am traveling for fun or work. You never know when you are going to get delayed, or on the flip side have a relaxing morning on the beach.
- I have a blog post sharing books I recommend (Read with Me!). I am always adding to the list. Also if you have a recommendation please share!
8. Travel Gear: I have a baseball hat that has a plane
on it I always bring. It is from an awesome company called Serengetee (serengetee.com). The company was started by fellow Semester at Sea alumni who purchase fabric from local artisans around the world and also give back 10% of the profit in to the communities. Check out their gear, I’m a fan!
Its the little things:
- Vacuum sealed bags
- Sun glasses
Anything I’m missing?